About the Howards Grove Fire Department
2015 HGFD Statistics
- 199 EMS Calls
- 50 Fire Calls
Fire Department History
It was in 1922, when a fire broke out in the village proper. The need for fire protection was felt, so the following year, in 1923, the Millersville Volunteer Fire Department was organized. In order to finance expenses, it held an annual picnic and parade. For a number of years it also sponsored a spring and fall card party. Everyone, young and old, would partake. People came to attend these affairs from far and wide.
Howards Grove FD
The first fire department, or "Brigade" as it was called, was organized at Howards Grove in 1907 when Ernst Harmen, August Frome, Dr. Franzel and August Meyer each donated $10.00 for the purchase of ladders and pails. The first wagon used as a fire apparatus was built by Frome, Neumeister and Burhop. A Chemical engine was purchased, as was a fire bell, at a cost of $22.50. They also purchased three fireman coats and three pair of rubber shoes. In May of 1909 a 14 x 34 x 10 foot high firehouse was built for $230. An article in the constitution stated that any first team of horses hitching to the ladder wagon with engine, and hauling the same to a fire shall receive a fee of not more that one dollar within the village limits and five dollars for fires outside the village limits.
Even though the two villages of Millersville and Howards Grove became one in 1967, they maintained their own independent volunteer fire departments, buildings and equipment until 1979. Although they merged in 1979 the department maintained the two separate stations to insure that there was enough free space for necessary equipment. After moving into the newly built fire station on S. Wisconsin Dr, the two older stations were sold in January of 1990.
* Info obtained from the book, "Howards Grove", WI by Elmer Koppelmann
Inside the station